Google+ Spices in the Cookie Jar: Potato masala/Aloo Bhaji

Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Potato masala/Aloo Bhaji


My previous post about Poori will be incomplete without this side-dish Potato Masala. Whenever we go to a South Indian veg restaurant I always end up ordering poori masala or masala dosa and a tumbler of piping hot filter coffee. Due to the lack of any good Indian vegetarian restaurants nearby Poori masala is one of those heavenly combos that makes infrequent appearances in my kitchen. You must be wondering why infrequent? Well I like pooris for breakfast and most mornings I am too lazy to do the kneading, rolling and frying! There, now you know why! :)
In a way me being lazy is a blessing in disguise I must say because these deep fried goodies are hard to resist. But a few weekends ago I had this real bad craving to eat poori masala. So I had to roll up my sleeves and make them to appease my rumbling tummy. They turned out really well except for one sad looking poori which didn't puff. I also use this potato masala as a filling for masala dosa (so you know what to make for dinner). :)


Ingredients 
Potato - 4 medium sized
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seed - 1/2 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Dry chilli - 3
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Ginger - 1 tsp
Green chilli medium - 3 to 4 chopped
Onion - 2 chopped medium size
Garam masala - a pinch
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Salt as required
Sugar - 1 to 2 tsp
Water - 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp chopped


Method: 
  1. Boil the potatoes until they are cooked in a pressure cooker or microwave, let it cool.
  2. Peel the potatoes and crumble it using your hands or a masher.
  3. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium-high. When the oil is hot enough pop the mustard seeds.
  4. As the seeds crack turn the heat down to medium-low and ddd the chana dal. Fry till it starts to change colour. Immediately add the dry chilly, curry leaves, ginger and green chilly, toss for a few seconds.
  5. Add the onion and fry till it starts to caramelize. Mix the turmeric, garam masala, salt and sugar. Saute for a minute.  
  6. Combine the potato with the masala and add the water. Mix until the masala is coated well on the potatoes. 
  7. Cook till the potatoes are slightly moist and not very dry. 
  8. Mix the coriander leaves and serve hot with Poori

2 comments: