Google+ Spices in the Cookie Jar: Egg and potato biryani

Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Egg and potato biryani




First of let me wish Happy Ramadan to all you lovely readers out there. I hope everyone is enjoying a peaceful and spiritual Ramadan this year with your loved ones. I am really excited to be back here doing yet another guest post for our lovely host Lubna :). She's been extremely patient with me while waiting for my post over the days, since I missed all the deadlines she gave me (I am extremely sorry dear)!!! Thank you so much for making me a part of this event for a third time and this time I am bringing you a fantastic Egg and Potato biryani which is quite easy to make and a fantastic addition to your iftaar menu. First I couldn’t decide which recipe I was going to share but made this biryani when we invited our friends over for iftaar dinner. Then I thought why can't I share this recipe because it's really simple and quick to make. So here it is! :)
Ingredients 

For the gravy:
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Red onion - 5 big sliced thin (cut one half extra fine to fry for garnish) 
Tomatoes - 1 big chopped 
Curd 3/4 cup 
Lemon juice - juice of 1/2 lemon 
Potato - 1 big cut into small cubes 
Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp 
Chilly pdr - 1/2 tsp 
Fennel pdr - 1/2 tsp 
Pepper pdr 1/2 tsp 
Biryani masala - 1.5 tsp 
Mint leaves - a bunch chopped 
Coriander leaves - a bunch chopped 
Salt as required 
Eggs - 6 hard boiled 

Grind the following to a coarse paste:
Ginger - 1.5" piece
Garlic - 1 bulb/10 big cloves
Green chilly - 10 medium ones

For the rice:
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Star anise - 1
Cloves - 10
Cardamom - 7
Cinnamon - 2" piece
Bay leaf 1
Rice - 3 cups (I use kaima/jeerakashala rice you can use Basmati as well) 
Water - 5.5 cups boiled (up to 6 cups depending on the rice) 
Salt as required

For the layering/garnish:
Saffron - a few pinch (mix in 2 tbsp of warm milk) 
Lemon juice - 1/2 lemon 
Biryani masala - 1/4 tsp 
Coriander & mint leaves chopped - a little for garnish 
Fried nuts, Fried raisins & Fried onions


For the rest of the recipe please hop over to Lubna's beautiful space here.

No comments:

Post a Comment